Everything is timed and the clock cannot be turned back. Once you start, your committed. Furthermore, part way through, I thought I was going to run out of epoxy. That would have been disastrous. But, my luck held out and so did the epoxy. Other concerns were, did I get enough thickened epoxy in the bird’s mouth joint? Did I mix everything properly ? Is the clamping pressure sufficient? Well, only time will tell, but I think I got a sufficient job. I wanted two coats of epoxy on the inside of the mast, so I started at 7:00 am by rolling and brushing three sides of the staves (I did not epoxy the outside of the staves), I then waited until about 4:30 pm before the epoxy was ready for the second coat. After applying the second, I thickened the epoxy and filled the bird’s mouth. I used electrician’s tape for clamping pressure (not sure I would recommend it though, it got pretty slimy and I questioned whether it was going to hold, but it did).
This shot gives me hope when I see all the squeeze out pushing through.
I spent an hour after the glue-up trying to remove excess epoxy from the outside of the joints.
What I learned:
- You probably need another helper. My wife helped me and I’m sure glad she did.
- Make sure you have lot’s of epoxy (I went through a lot more than I thought I would).
- Have everything ready (I had to scramble for the electrician’s tape)
- Our gloved fingers worked better than the home made scraper tool I created to smooth the thickened epoxy into the bird’s mouth.
- Keep moving, you don’t have any too much time for this step.
Great to have the mast glued up! Now, I wait for a few days. Then it’s time to get out the hand plane and begin taking off the high edges. Additionally, I will be epoxying the top and bottom plugs into position.