This rudder will have 2 lb. of plate steel epoxied inside per Howard Rice’s suggestion, which I feel has much merit. After a couple of hours, my rudder now looks like this. I used old bricks to press down the center to make sure I had good contact around the plate steel.
My Construction Steps:
- I first coated all surfaces with unthickened epoxy.
- I then thickened more epoxy and used a 3/16″ v-notch spreader to evenly distribute this thickened epoxy over all inside surfaces.
- I then spooned thickened epoxy around the cutout area and around the plate steel.
- I then paired the two surfaces, weighted the center with bricks and clamped the perimeter with soft clamping pressure.
- I then spent 30 minutes cleaning up the excess squeeze out around the edges.
- I’m now headed to my Swedish backyard Sauna to relax and contemplate glueing up the centerboard. I love this build project!! If you are reading this blog and trying to decide whether or not to build a boat…do it baby!