I have spent a great deal of time trying to wrap my head around bulkheads, hatches and access. There is so much potential storage and hatch access that one is left wondering, ‘how much is enough and how shall I access enough?
I’ve decided to go with one Russell Brown hatch for each seat top. So, if I’m only using one hatch, I need great access. The kit drilled BH access holes are quite small. So, I decided to open up the BH holes 5-6 for better access. Yes, I really wanted to just start filleting these in place, but I’ve learned that sometimes you have to take one step backwards before you can take two steps forward. The time to enlarge these holes is now, before they get installed in the boat. After cutting the openings with a jig saw, I cleaned up any rough areas with a hand plane and wood file, then I grabbed the router to soften the edges with an 1/8″ round over bit.
After putting two coats of epoxy on all the newly formed edges, I’m now ready to clean up and re-sand these areas. Hoping to move to epoxy filleting by week end.