There is a fair amount of cleating that needs to be installed before moving forward. These all need two coats of epoxy and sanding prior to installation. There seems to be a lot of small tedious work in preparation for the next step. I’m always amazed at how long this preparation takes. It’s always a dap here and a touch there…waiting in between before proceeding. My goals for this week are to:
- Install all additional cleating
- Complete all sanding
- Install stern
- Paint interior parts of boat (while I can still reach them)Clamping was my only choice for the CB Case area. I used a brad nailer to set the cleating in place and then clamped for additional pressure.I labeled all the cleats prior to glue up for clarity. Once glued, I didn’t want to make a mistake installing the cleats. There is a lot going on here and the epoxy is curing. A Sharpie helped me keep track of all the pieces. The numbering designation is: BH 5-6, H stands for horizontal piece.
I spend more time cleaning up than installing. There is always a lot of squeeze out, but it’s much easier to clean up now than after the epoxy has cured.
Anxious to get some planks up.
The plans call for wrapping the outside edges in fiberglass. I decided to add the glass while the epoxy was still curing to avoid sanding. I’ll add additional epoxy to the weave in 8-10 hours. These top edges will be cut flush with the top of the mast trunk, with a razor blade in about 8 hours.This bottom wrap was a bit of an after thought. It would have worked out a lot better if I had rounded the bottom edges before attempting the wrap. I’ll try to work a little more epoxy into these white edges after things set up a bit.
Wrapping top of mast trunk. I used one continuous wrap of about 35″ to go all the way around.
After several last minute vacations, before my kids go back to school, I found some time to continue building Shackleton.
I decided to follow Dave’s lead (building #243) and build the Mast Trunk on the bench. After mocking up the process dozens of times, I finally decided to just start building. The process went rather smoothly as follows:
- First I rolled and brushed all joint, dado and fillet areas with unthickened epoxy.
- I then brushed thickened epoxy into all dados on BH3, mast ramp and bottom plate.
- I then positioned the mast trunk sides into the dados on BH3.
- I then shot two 3/4″ staples through the bottom plate, into the mast trunk sides (at the forward bottom corner location). This held the lower mast trunk sides vertical.
- I then positioned the top ramp piece and clamped it to the mast trunk sides. This held the upper mast trunk sides vertical.
- I then filleted both inside and outside joint areas of the open mast trunk (this was really nice because it allowed great access to create the inside fillets).
- I then placed the Y piece on the top.
- After checking all alignment, I weighted the top and clamps the sides together.
Next, I’ll glass the outside corners, ramp and bottom plate.
I’m having fun, baby!