After several last minute vacations, before my kids go back to school, I found some time to continue building Shackleton.
I decided to follow Dave’s lead (building #243) and build the Mast Trunk on the bench. After mocking up the process dozens of times, I finally decided to just start building. The process went rather smoothly as follows:
- First I rolled and brushed all joint, dado and fillet areas with unthickened epoxy.
- I then brushed thickened epoxy into all dados on BH3, mast ramp and bottom plate.
- I then positioned the mast trunk sides into the dados on BH3.
- I then shot two 3/4″ staples through the bottom plate, into the mast trunk sides (at the forward bottom corner location). This held the lower mast trunk sides vertical.
- I then positioned the top ramp piece and clamped it to the mast trunk sides. This held the upper mast trunk sides vertical.
- I then filleted both inside and outside joint areas of the open mast trunk (this was really nice because it allowed great access to create the inside fillets).
- I then placed the Y piece on the top.
- After checking all alignment, I weighted the top and clamps the sides together.
I’m having fun, baby!