Rethinking my finishThere was a time when I liked the high gloss look of beautifully finished wood. My rudder was finished with high gloss marine varnish shown below.Over the years, however, I’ve come to appreciate and even favor a more satin finish. Even though my rudder was completely finished, I decided to apply a satin finish over the high gloss to tame things down a bit. To me, the satin finish is a softer, more appealing look…more hand rubbed in appearance. I am much happier with this finish. I applied the satin finish directly over the high gloss (after lightly sanding).
- High gloss is a hard finish that is said to offer the best wear and UV protection amongst clear finishes.
- High gloss offers a show stopper look.
- High gloss shows every last spec of dust in the finish.
- High gloss shows hard water spots.
- High gloss magnifies imperfections.
- Satin finish looks more hand rubbed.
- Satin finish hides imperfections.
- Satin finish hides hard water spots.
- Satin finish applied over high gloss finish seems to offer the best of both worlds, if you like a more subtle look.