The more I get into this build, the more I enjoy it. There is something therapeutic about working small details out in your mind, and then seeing them come into form on the boat. In a life where everything is digital, synthesized and virtual, we as humans are missing a very important part of life. We are having a digital experience instead of having a physical, tangible, creative experience. If everyone depressed or struggling with metal illness could have success in working with their hands, I believe many would be much better off. I chose to epoxy the sole doubler to the sole on my shop floor. This will allow me to fit the hatches and fillet the edges on the bench. I used a myriad of items to weigh down the sole doubler. This was my initial thought on hatch layout. I later rotated the two front hatches 90 degrees and moved them closer to the center line. This will allow me to stow a crate or small duffel outboard of the front hatches, against the side panels of the boat. I marked the exact location of each hatch. Once I was sure I had marked things right, I drilled a 3/8″ hole to allow access with my jig saw. This makes you a little nervous. You definitely want to get these measurements right. I used a router bit to clean up both top and bottom edges. I was curious to inspect the edge of the cut outs. I wondered if I could detect the seam where the two plys met. As you see in the photo, there is no visible separation between the pieces. This is what things looked like prior to the sole doubler fillet. After applying the fillet, I spent another hour cleaning up the edges.I have decided that applying a fillet is 20% skill and 80% patience. I later added an additional coat of unthickened epoxy to the sole doubler edge and fillet. I’m sure this area will see a lot of water and want it well sealed.
Working on this build is very therapeutic for me.