After trial mounting the pintles and gudgeons, I had to back up and perform a redo. The rudder head assembly was not rotating freely, but rather had some resistance as it rotated from port to starboard. I also had not over drilled the holes to receive the epoxy plug with center drilled out. After thinking about this for a few days, I decided it was best to rework this step.I also decided to make 2 backer plates to further strengthen the gudgeon attachment points. The backer plate has been drilled out (oversized) to receive the epoxy plug.Here you see the new over sized holes drilled through the transom and transom doubler. I used the backer plate as a template to help properly align the gudgeon holes when drilling through the transom (you can see the screw hole marks where I mounted the backer plate).Using a toothpick, I poked small holes through the blue tape. I then worked thickened epoxy (from the front side) into these holes. This allowed the air to escape and thickened epoxy to push through, completely filling the holes.Transom view showing the backer plates and motor mount doubler in place. Before I glued in the doublers (and while I still had good access), I drilled both drain holes.
Hopefully, I can get a friction free mount of the rudder head assembly this time.