My thinking has been, if I did finish work as I went along, it would never appear too daunting a task.Though you can’t see it well in this photo, here sits Shackleton with 4 coats of varnish on the inside. I use 2 coats of gloss, followed by 2 coats of satin. I much prefer the look of satin over the high gloss. The reason I start with 2 coats of high gloss is that I have read (and tend to believe) that high gloss is more durable. So, I start with the gloss and end with the satin, for the best of both worlds.Seat cutouts, finished and drilled to receive hatch.Hatches installed using a generous bead of 100% silicone around the bottom flange. I worried for some time that the hatches would be uncomfortable to sit on, but I believe they are going to be just fine. Starboard hatch placed outboard of the CB slot. This will just barely lay open once the carlins and deck coaming are installed. Stir stick used to flush up the bulkhead even with the gunwales. Epoxied in place.I added a fillet along the top of the starboard gunwale where it meets the transom for proper alignment. The bulkheads need to be angled to better match the angle of the carlins. Port side carlins installed. This was a little tricky to do by myself. Another set of hands would have helped, but I worked through it. I also cut and installed a filler block at the bow transom to stiffen this area up a bit. It will also provide a nice place for me to attach a bow anchor line plate (not sure what they call those things).
I’m going to increase the size of the bulkhead/carlins fillets in a few hours and then let things get good and hard before removing the clamps. Lots of pressure; I’m afraid the carlins might want to pop off, hence the larger fillets to follow.
Then on to the Starboard side carlins.