After applying 2 layers of glass over the Red Oak skegs, it was time to epoxy them onto the hull. I wet both surfaces with unthickened epoxy (several wet layers for good absorption into the oak), then thickened up the epoxy with colloidal silicon for a strong paste. I used plenty of paste…I didn’t want any air pockets beneath the skegs. I used steel plates (ballast for Shackleton) as weights to hold down the skegs. Each of these plates weigh around 26 lb. I added a soft towel strip between the plates and the skegs to increase friction, keeping the plates from slipping off. The weight caused good squeeze-out all around the skegs. I cleaned this up with stick and paper towel. I then worked additional thickened epoxy into any areas that appeared to have a slight gap. After allowing the epoxy to set for about 10 hours, I laid down a hefty fillet.Summary:
This is a good step to have behind me. The skegs took a lot of hand work to get a proper fit against the hull. I’m looking forward to applying graphite epoxy to the lower sections of the hull. I’ve decided to go with Interlux Brightside Hatteras White on the upper sections of the hull.