Having settled on a practical, functional graphite bottom for Shackleton, I begin to roll the thick black stuff onto the hull. After one coat, the hull looks thirsty for more.After two coats, things are looking much better.I don’t have a perfect finish here. I got orange peel for some sections of the hull. I’ve decided a workboat finish will have to suffice. I want this baby in the water…I guess I’m to that point. I hear everyone gets to this point sooner or later. I’m feel like I”m getting there.
The idea of putting a small amount of colloidal silicon in the mixture to smooth out the graphite didn’t work for me, in fact I think it added a little texture to the epoxy. My best results were simply using graphite alone without additives. One more coat and I’ll be removing the tape. This will be around 1:00 am this morning. Wish me luck.