With the cockpit coamings installed, I turned my attention to the transom cap. The first step was to shape the transom and deck to better accept the cap. I marked the dimensions of the cap on the deck so I knew where to stop filing.Laying out the transom cap. I rounded off all sharp edges with a router and marked/drilled screw hole locations.I filed very little off the back side of the transom cap. I wanted enough material behind the screws to keep them from pulling through the plywood as I sucked the cap down to the deck. Don’t forget to erase all pencil markings prior to glue down. Transom cap with end fillet. The outboard edges will be filed flush with the gunwales once cure. I plan to but the rub rail up against the end grain of the transom cap. I held the transom cap back 1/8″ aft of the transom.
Steps I took:
- Neatly marked off screw hole locations
- Rounded all exposed edges
- Filed the deck and transom for better fit
- Placed wet thickened epoxy fillet onto deck & shaped with stir stick
- Wet rolled all contact points with unthickened epoxy
- Screwed down cap using 1 1/4″ SS screws
- Cleaned up squeeze out
- Cleaned up all edges with my finger and wooden dowel dipped in alcohol while the fillet was green and moldable.
I’m now ready to fit the transom cap doubler to the underside forward edge of the transom cap. I’ll then transition fillet the ends of the doubler into the existing fillet.