I looked around the shop for any noble scraps of wood to become the honorary coaming cap. The red oak left over from the skegs kept calling to me from across the dusty shop floor. After a proper interview to determine worthiness, the oak got the job.
This is 2 pieces of 3/8″ x 1 1/8″ red oak. I epoxied them one at a time for easy bending. I ran the oak long to provide the material for the gusset cap. This should be enough extra to allow me a few shots at the compound cut needed for the gusset cap.
I used small wooden blocks to prevent the clamps from denting the inside of the cockpit coaming.
The aft end was cut short to transition into the coaming prior to the curve. Hard to see, but I rounded the bottom inside edges of the oak for a smooth fit between the 2 boards.
I then used the Shinto rasp and sandpaper to shape the aft end.
The forward end was cut with a Japanese draw saw. I left it a touch proud of the gusset.
Then I fine tuned the cut with the Shinto rasp to achieve a flush surface with the gusset.
I then took the left over glued up material and began cutting/shaping the compound angle needed to fit against the cabin sides.
Clamped in place with a small fillet around the junction. Once cured, I’ll work all the top edges flush and round over all exposed edges.
It’s impossible to get all the top edges exactly flush, so I ran both oak pieces a touch proud of the cockpit coaming on the top side. Then, once all is cured, I’ll file/sand the top oak edges down to match the plywood edge for a nice flush top surface.