I wanted more support than could be achieved by simply screwing the oarlock directly into the cockpit coaming. I looked around the shop and found some left over oak (from the skegs) that would work nicely as support blocks.
I cut a dado to maximize the glueing surface area. This should provide a very solid base. All angles were running bevels, as nothing is straight at this location on the boat. I took my time and got the blocks to fit the best I could. The vertical face is sloping off at 10 degrees for the proper oarlock angle.
I held the top just below the finish coaming. This allows me to mount my oarlock and have it sit just below the top of the finish coaming.I then applied thickened epoxy to all mating surfaces. One clamp seemed to hold it properly.
I can’t wait to mount up the oarlocks on these support blocks. I feel good about how these turned out.