While sailing Shackleton, I’ve had quite a bit of water coming through the CB bolt into the BH 4-5 area. I attempted to silicon the bolt head, but to no avail. Then while talking with John Welsford at the Skills Camp, he said all such problems can be easily fixed by using an O-ring.
This is the first version. Clunky, a bit ugly, no O-ring and leaked like a sieve, but it did keep the bolt in place.
Parts of the new system.
I will epoxy these two pieces together. The bolt head fits into the circular hole and the lower piece prevents the bolt from working it’s way outward.
The O-ring fits between the cap and the CB case.
Genuine bicycle grease can’t hurt anything, and I figured it would keep the O-ring in place while I screwed on the cap.
This is much nicer looking than the first cap, is secured with three screws and hopefully will solve the water intrusion problem. I had to temporarily remove the vault lid (containing the fixed ballast) to get straight access to the cap.
Thanks to John Welsford for suggesting this easy fix. Doesn’t it just look much nicer? Can’t wait to see if it works.
It just wasn’t right…I could feel it in my bones. Remember, if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong if I’m within 20 feet of the problem. My life experience has taught me this. Like the time I rode Todd Treasures motorcycle in 4th grade without asking…long story but it turned out bad; or the time I flipped my bicycle trailer while descending at 34 mph down a wet hill on the Oregon Coast. The experiences go on and on.
I knew the center board bolt would come winging out on me when I least expected it, if I didn’t come up with a solution to this problem.
Thanks to many for their input on the Scamp forum. I settled on this simple solution.
The bolt plate has previously been epoxied to the center board case. This left only the bolt that needed to be sealed. I slathered it with 100% silicon caulk.
Then I took a small piece of wood, measuring 1 3/4″ x 3″, and drilled out the center with a 1 1/8″ forsner bit. I test fit the depth on the bit cut for a snug fit against the bolt head.
Then I drilled out the outside of the block with a counter sink bit. I plan to use 1 1/4″ ss screws. They protrude through the block 5/8″. I calculated the thickness of the case at this point to be 3/4″. Notice I offset the counter sink holes, holding them up toward the top of the block a bit. This allows better access in hatch #5 to set the screws.
This is the block positioned over the bolt. I will epoxy and varnish this block and then screw it in position. It fits nicely along side the Vault. Now I can sleep again at night.
One of these days, any day now, I won’t have anything left to build.
Building the CB case seemed to take a long time. I went very slowly to insure I didn’t make a mistake. It was weighing heavily on my mind and I’m glad I got through it. As you know, I was using a different construction technic, so I wanted to make sure I got everything right. It went together beautifully.Here I laid out my screw patterns and dry screwed everything together. I used an impact driver which offered a lot of control when screwing into the plywood.These screw are a joy to use, they drill their own holes and pull hard enough to go right through the plywood if your not careful. I’ve never used anything like them.Here are the specs for the screws. They are not stainless steel, but they will all get epoxy plugged and shouldn’t see much moisture (since they are buried inside the wood). They are designed for outdoor decking.The process is to dry screw everything together in it’s proper layout, disassemble, epoxy and reassemble. This allows the screws to go back into their original holes insuring proper alignment. This system, though slow, offers a lot of accuracy and precision. Summary:
- Though it had me worried, the build was straight forward and relatively easy on the bench.
- If you take your time and build the case accurately on the bench, it should fit beautifully between the bulkheads.
- Glue up was simplified by working on the bench.
- The case doubler plate was easy to epoxy by working on the bench.
- Everything is easier on the bench.