After loosing my rudder downhaul line on an oyster bed in Port Townsend, I came up with the great idea to epoxy the line in place (in the rudder) for a bomb proof attachment. Problem was, the epoxy oozed out and stiffened the line where it exited the top of the rudder. This caused the line to rub in the rudder head assembly, preventing smooth raising and lowering of the rudder.
So, I did what I probably should have done all along.
I drilled the hole bigger than what the plans called for and secured the line with a figure 8 knot. My first attempt left very little wood to support the line, so I filled with thickened epoxy and tried again.
This smaller hole was drilled horizontally until it met the bigger hole. This preserved more wood/epoxy for the line to pull against.
The knot lies flush with the rudder for smooth movement of the rudder.
This approach is far superior to my last approach (epoxied in place) in that the line is now replaceable and fully serviceable in the field.
With my boat up off the floor, I was ready to install my center board retrieval line. I used a forsner bit to drill a neat straight hole up into the forward bottom edge of the center board. I drilled approximately 1″ into the board. I used a nail to apply unthickened epoxy into the drilled hole. Then I thickened the epoxy and added the line.
I’ll cut the line to a finish length after I test it during a capsize drill.
With the boat up off the trailer, I also touched up some areas of excessive wear from the trailer bow pads.
I’m now ready to apply my high gloss finish to the top side (remember, my first matte finish failed miserably and needed to be all scraped off). This was a bit of a disappointment, but heck, now I know how to refinish the boat. Honestly, I had no choice but to refinish it.
After loosing my rudder downhaul line on an oyster bed off Marrowstone Island, I knew I needed a more secure fix. Well, how about epoxy?
Line lead into the rudder, taped off ready for epoxy.
I don’t think this will be coming out again. I’ll now clean up the overage and reattach to rudder head assembly.
Disadvantages: Will require a drill bit to replace the line. Hardly replaceable in the field.
Advantages: Uber secure, not much to go wrong.
When I attempted to tie my uphaul line to the center board, I clearly didn’t have enough room for the knot.
I decided to drill out a larger hole to accommodate the knot and prevent it from rubbing against the CB case. I used the plywood as a guide, clamping it against the CB to hold the forsner bit in place.
I drilled into the CB approximately 1/2″.
The line fits with ease.Uphaul line knot (figure 8) with tail tucked in. Now I began to wonder if I removed too much material…is it strong enough? Hole with 1/8″ round over bit applied to top edge. Then it hit me…why not epoxy the line in place?
While the epoxy was still green, I cleaned up the edges and took a little off the top for a flush fit.
- I didn’t want the knot rubbing against the CB case, so something had to be done.
- I had concerns about water intrusion into the CB where the lead line came into the knot area.
- I had concerns about the weight and leverage of the CB on the drilled out knot area.
- I’ve learned if anything strange can happen to me, it will.
- I didn’t want the uphaul line to have any chance of coming loose.
- I feel like this solution minimizes all of these concerns.
- I plan to build a trailer support for the CB to rest on while traveling (I believe towing Scamp with the CB up is the culprit for CB line wear), so I really don’t plan on needing to replace this line very often, if ever.
But wait, how will I replace the line? Easy peazy, lemon squeezy. Give me 3 minutes with a forsner bit and I’ll have the line and epoxy entirely removed, ready for a new one.
I feel good about the security of the line and the water integrity of the holes drilled. Sometimes what looks to be a mistake can turn out better than before. This baby is not coming loose.
As earlier mentioned, I was unhappy with the friction in the rudder after my first attempt at installing the pintles and gudgeons. After thinking things over, I decided to drill out the holes, fill them with epoxy and try again. Well…Success this time!
I started by marking the center line and using a square to mark the horizontal location of the gudgeon holes. It now moves freely from side to side without friction. Based on Simeon’s recommendation, I purchased the Racelite heavy duty pintles and gudgeons from Duckworks Magazine. They are well build, solid and simple. Just what Shackleton ordered. When installing the rudder downhaul line, I realized I didn’t have room for a knot and washer to secure the line into the rudder. It just wouldn’t fit in the epoxied hole I had to work with. So, I grabbed some artificial sinew and doubled the line over on itself. This fits nicely in the hole and secures the downhaul line. The rudder uphaul line was secured with a simple knot.I color coded the lines: green for downhaul and red for uphaul. I also chose red for the CB uphaul line. My reasoning for the color coding was: ‘Green for smooth sailing, drop the CB and rudder’ and red for ‘quick, raise the foils before we run a ground’.
I’m so glad I took the time to get this right. So many times we hurry ourselves and are never quite happy with the end results. I’ve owned sailboats in the past that had issues I could not solve. With Scamp, I’ve tried to make this boat mine and never hurry or short change the process. I could not build one of these boats if I were in a hurry. I have no idea when I’ll be done, but when I complete the boat, I want to be happy with the build. This means a great deal to me. Details mean a great deal to me. The overall construction quality of the boat means a great deal to me.