The cabin top has been glassed with 2 coats of epoxy. I noticed the cabin top edges looked a little thin (weave not quite filled), so I went over these areas with a 3 coat of epoxy.
I wrapped the glass up the side walls of the mast box, which already had one wrap of fiberglass all the way around them. (Others have suggested doubling up this area of the mast box with additional okoume plywood. After thinking this over, I decided against this because it would prevent me from screwing hardware into the cabin supports just under the top. So I decided to wrap this area again for additional support. Not sure it needed it…but it made me feel better). I used a round over bit on the top and bottom of the fore and aft cabin top edges. This finishes off the cabin top edge very nicely. I have used a 1/8″ rounder over bit a lot on this build.
The bow of the boat will be finished a little differently. I cut it flush with a flush cut router bit and Japanese draw saw. I am going to fit a solid piece of Sapelle here like I use for the rub rail. I’ll tie this piece into the rub rails for a finished look.
Details to follow.
The plans call for wrapping the outside edges in fiberglass. I decided to add the glass while the epoxy was still curing to avoid sanding. I’ll add additional epoxy to the weave in 8-10 hours. These top edges will be cut flush with the top of the mast trunk, with a razor blade in about 8 hours.This bottom wrap was a bit of an after thought. It would have worked out a lot better if I had rounded the bottom edges before attempting the wrap. I’ll try to work a little more epoxy into these white edges after things set up a bit.
Wrapping top of mast trunk. I used one continuous wrap of about 35″ to go all the way around.
After several last minute vacations, before my kids go back to school, I found some time to continue building Shackleton.
I decided to follow Dave’s lead (building #243) and build the Mast Trunk on the bench. After mocking up the process dozens of times, I finally decided to just start building. The process went rather smoothly as follows:
- First I rolled and brushed all joint, dado and fillet areas with unthickened epoxy.
- I then brushed thickened epoxy into all dados on BH3, mast ramp and bottom plate.
- I then positioned the mast trunk sides into the dados on BH3.
- I then shot two 3/4″ staples through the bottom plate, into the mast trunk sides (at the forward bottom corner location). This held the lower mast trunk sides vertical.
- I then positioned the top ramp piece and clamped it to the mast trunk sides. This held the upper mast trunk sides vertical.
- I then filleted both inside and outside joint areas of the open mast trunk (this was really nice because it allowed great access to create the inside fillets).
- I then placed the Y piece on the top.
- After checking all alignment, I weighted the top and clamps the sides together.
Next, I’ll glass the outside corners, ramp and bottom plate.
I’m having fun, baby!